Sunday, February 27, 2011

Living History



When I was in high school I was blessed to be able to volunteer at the Georgia Agrirama.

Here's a picture of the schoolhouse. I got to play the role of one of the school children at many different special events.

During this time in my life I was too stubborn to realize how much I love history. To me, history just meant boring dates you have to memorize and stupid facts about countries that don't even exist anymore. I had no idea that the study of history could include learning about the way people lived, and the type of clothes they wore. Now that was interesting.

Once my school years weren't staring me in the face and I could calm down enough to really think through things... or perhaps a better way to say it is this: Once I stopped thinking I knew everything and began to realize how much I had to learn, I began to study certain periods of history in earnest.

Lest I be taken to task... let me just leave this one disclaimer. My study of history has been more of a hobby than a profession, and I am definitely prone to error.

Anyway, I think I'm getting sidetracked.

So I got to pretend that I lived in the 1890's. I wore a bustle and if I'd had the money I would have owned a pair of black high topped, buttoned boots. My experience in this little room, has had a great impression on me, and now that I have the opportunity, I'm passing it on to my children.

This was my inspiration for my school room.

I searched craigslist and antique stores and asked around locally until I was able to find what I wanted. Now I have a whole bunch of furniture that was made many many years ago, and is still around today.

Next up: Pictures




No comments:

Post a Comment