Thursday, August 27, 2009

Have you ever? (beauty)

Have you ever looked a picture of yourself with caring eyes?

I'm talking about seeing your own reflection through the eyes of someone who likes you. How often do we look in the mirror and try to find something wrong. A hair out of place, a bulge, a spot. Why can we not take a step back and think, "Someone can see beauty in this reflection. Someone chooses to spend time with this person. Someone likes this person."

We look at people on television or online, or in magazines and think, "They are so lucky to be beautiful, to know they are sought after, to know they have an audience who adores them." They have people who make sure they are always looking their best. And yet, do we ever stop to wonder what they looked like when they were discovered. Someone saw them in their unaltered state and knew they had potential. Someone picked them before they were famous.

I know so many people who hate to see photographs of themselves. They hide from the camera because they don't want to be reminded of how they look. I used to feel that way. Having my picture taken was a chore. I wish my friends would realize how pretty they really are. I with they knew how often people looked at them and made positive comments.

I have one friend with the most beautiful hair I have ever seen. It is long and has just the perfect amount of wave to it. It is effortless for her to grow it out it seems. I often look at her and wish my hair were long and beautiful like hers. She is to me what Anne felt about Diana Barry in Anne of Green Gables.

I have another friend with brilliant blue eyes. They look like sapphires. I was talking to her one day and realized that I had completely forgotten what she was saying because I was suddenly focused on her eyes. I NEVER notice people eyes. My own husband asked me what color eyes he had when we were first married and I had to look at them before I could answer.

Some friends are pretty in a way that I just can't put my finger on. I guess they have the right balance of features, not too big a nose, not to prominent a chin, etc. Some of my friends have started showing signs of age in a beautiful way. They may look at a face that is older and more worn or wrinkled, but I see such peace on them, and I hope I look like them as I age.

Of course, some of my friends are just pretty, and they know it. They somehow figured out how to achieve the ideal look, or they have the gift of maintaining their figure year after year. Those are the ones I am confused with when they start to complain about their looks.

So I guess all I'm trying to say is, take another look at yourself. Look in the mirror through different eyes, and see what your closest friends see. They see a person who is desirable. They see someone who has captivated their attention and caused them to want to get to know them more. Stop looking for things that must be changed, and start noticing things that are already perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment